Hyperactive Group Classes - Heartmoves
Heartmoves is a licensed Heart Foundation gentle physical activity program. It is suitable for anyone who requires low intensity physical activity including those who haven’t exercised for a long time, those who are overweight, and those who have stable long term health conditions such as heart disease, diabetes or obesity.
Heartmoves can only be run by accredited exercise professionals who have undertaken the comprehensive licensed Heartmoves training. Hyperactive Personal Fitness has accredited instructors who conduct Heartmoves classes. Currently, classes are held in various locations in North Canberra and at particular workplaces.
Heartmoves classes are friendly and limited in size to ensure maximum enjoyment and safety of participants. Each class typically includes the following aspects:
- Resistance Training
- Exercises to improve balance, flexibility and co-ordination
- Functional movements; and
- Aerobic fitness and endurance exercises.
In early 2000, the Heart Foundation was funded to provide twice weekly Heartmoves classes plus a 6 week lifestyle education program to over 1200 Vietnam veterans across NSW and ACT. This project involved individual assessment of participants pre and post intervention. An independent analysis of this data was conducted by the Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics Department of the University of Newcastle, and showed statistically significant positive changes (some modest and some large) in the levels of most lifestyle risk factors for chronic disease. In particular the evaluation showed:
- Statistically significant reductions in:
- Systolic blood pressure
- Diastolic blood pressure
- Total cholesterol
- LDL cholesterol
- Waist circumference
- Saturated fat consumption and
- Smoking rates
- Statistically significant increases in:
- HDL cholesterol
- Physical activity participation
- Mental quality of life and
- Hence, there is a solid evidence base to show that taking part in regular Heartmoves sessions can help:
- Lower blood pressure
- Improve cholesterol control
- Manage weight
- Improve well being and quality of life
- Manage diabetes
- Improve balance and flexibility
- Improve sleep
- Improve bone mineral density with arthritis management
- Prevent falls and injuries from falls
To get a snapshot of a Heartmoves class in action view http://heartmoves.heartfoundation.org.au/session-video
Alternatively, contact Hyperactive Fitness Training to arrange an on site class visit or to arrange for Hyperactive Personal Fitness Training to provide a demonstration class for your group or workplace.